Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Money Part 3

Giving. It's the most telling - and most private - part of the discussion about what kind of treasure you are pursuing. Many people say they are sold out for God, but they give a token amount of money away. I've known and talked with countless folks who essentially said, "God, you can have my whole life - anything you want...except my money." And they wondered why they were having spiritual challenges...why God felt distant.

God doesn't want 90% of your life. He wants ALL of your life. I no longer belong to myself, to serve myself, to decide for myself. I gave God the reigns, and He gets to decide. I'm just a manager. It all belongs to Him.

So, I have come to enjoy - truly enjoy - giving away thousands of dollars every year. The money is not mine, anyway...it's God's. The minimum benchmark is 10%, but I try to give a larger percentage every year, with the hopes that one day I can give 25% or more. I do this because I want to be sure I don't look at the other 90% as 'mine'. The Bible is clear: God owns it all.

When I give, I mostly give to PCC. Two reasons:

1) I believe that the tithe (10%) is supposed to go to the local church. PCC is where I call home, and I think the Bible teaches Christ followers to give the tithe there.

2) I believe in the work that PCC does. If I didn't, frankly, I wouldn't be there. You should be at a church you believe in, and you should tithe to that church.

I DO give to some other causes. I support a child in a developing country with a contribution every month. I give to a few other causes from time to time, too. But the bulk of my giving is to my local church.

Not everyone can go from zero to 10% all at once. Many have to grow into it. Susan and I required a few years to become tithers, because of debt and lifestyle choices that couldn't be remedied all at once. But we've been tithers now for fifteen years or so, and I've never regretted one penny of it. In fact, I've increasingly enjoyed it.

Give giving a try. Build toward the tithe. And watch the stronghold that money has on your life begin to loosen. You won't regret it.

No comments: