Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Money Part 2

In Matthew 6, Jesus talks about money with word pictures like treasure storage and master serving; heart placement and priority seeking and worry. They're all tied together and wrapped up in this question: What part does money and materialism play in my life?

Now, if you're honest, you most likely will admit that you, like the rest of us, pursue at least some things that you don't need. I fight with this all the time, though lately I'm less focused on material things, but I'm sure the affliction will return soon enough. There is nothing inherently wrong or sinful about wanting a new flat screen, a newer car, a more modern kitchen, an updated laptop, or an iPhone. The problem comes with, "What is the price I'm willing to pay to get..."

Consider this:
  • When I buy something on a credit card, how long will it take me to pay for it?
  • When I buy something with money I have, what cause could have been supported instead? How many hungry people could have been fed? How many cases of HIV/AIDS could have been prevented? How many social injustices could have been corrected?
  • How much time will I spend earning the money to buy the things I want or to accumulate the wealth I want? What if that same amount of time was directed towards helping others, volunteering and serving? (in any number of worthy causes)
  • Is the job I have today something I love and enjoy...or am I only here for the money?
Admittedly, these are very hard questions. And you certainly have to examine your life in it's entirety, not simply on the merits of one purchase or one decision. Still, I think we'd all do well to consider these things with Jesus' words from Matthew 6 and ask God to help us be honest with ourselves about them.

No comments: