Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Meeting of a Lifetime

Imagine that one day, you walk out to the mailbox, open it up, and notice that there is an unusually ornate envelope mixed in with the junk mail and bills. Intrigued, you examine it more closely and quickly recognize the familiar symbol where the sender's information goes: this envelop is from the President of the United States (forget about politics for a moment). Since you've never gotten anything from the President, you figure it must be a mass mailing, but you notice that the envelope is personally addressed to you, written in ink - no bar codes or mailing labels. It's real. 'Am I in some kind of trouble?' you wonder. 'What have those kids gone and done now...' After you finish running with that thought, you open the envelope and find an invitation inside - something like this:



This particular invitation was for a state dinner with President and Mrs. Bush and Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. I didn't get an invitation to that dinner. Mine must have gotten misplaced. Come to think of it, I haven't gotten any invitations to the White House for a state dinner....or lunch...or for any reason at all. But I sure would love to. It wouldn't matter to me who the President was - Democrat or Republican - if I got the invitation I can tell you, in advance, that my answer would be yes. I'd miss my anniversary, my kid's birthday, church, Christmas, whatever. If I got the summons, I'd make the meeting.

Perhaps an invitation to the White House doesn't really matter to you. Maybe it's a superstar - Brad Pit or Oprah or some country singer or a sports star or a really successful business person like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet. Perhaps you'd respond to an invitation to meet the Pope, the Queen of England, Billy Graham, Paul McCartney, Jimmy Carter, Hillary Clinton, or the cast of CSI Miami. You can say that there is nobody you'd really like to meet, but I'd argue with you. Most of us can name at least some famous person that we would drop everything for. If we got the invitation, we'd make the meeting.

Don't you know that you do have the invitation? The most important person on the planet...in the universe - the One who created all things - who holds it all together - He requests the honor of your presence, not just at dinner...and you don't have to dress up...but in your pajamas and over a cup of coffee. You don't have to study which fork to use and you don't have to practice eating your soup without slurping it or dripping it down your chin. He honestly wants you to know Him. He wants to coach you, to encourage you, to give you some instruction, to give you a little correction here and there. You have the invitation.

Beth Brawley had a meeting with someone we all consider a very important person this past week. It was a phone meeting, but it was still a one-on-one conversation. It was very exciting. The office was buzzing for days before about it, anticipating it. We closed her door. We wanted to know how it went. What was said. How'd it go.

Why don't we approach meeting with God that way? He's far more important than the President or the Queen or the Pope. He's more talented than any musician and richer than the most successful businessperson. He's more powerful than any politician. What's more, He's interested in you...they're not. He sent you the invitation - He nudges you with one every day. But we tend to shrug Him off. I'm determined to change this about myself. Want to join me?

Sorry, I gotta run. I received a personal invitation from the most powerful Person in the world and there is no way I'm missing this opportunity!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder........I really needed this today. ~ In the "busyness" of typing up some Christmas quotes to use for a game at our small group's Christmas celebration....a thought came to me, to check out your blog. ~ Must have been a "divine appointment" because I didn't have a time with God yet today. ~ No man's "quote" could ever be better than reading God's love letter to us! ~ Gotta' go now too, I need to spend some time with my Heavenly Father. ~