Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Am I Unavailable?


OK, I'm starting out with a disclaimer: this post is half venting, half soap-box-sermonizing and half pitiparty-begging-for-your-help. That's too many halves, but you get the point.

Someone whispered to me that someone lamented to them that they wanted to talk to me about some concern or complaint that they had about our church, but that they felt I was less available these days. This is not the first time I have heard about these kinds of feelings, and to be fair, I do understand them. Our church is large. I'm more insulated now than I was when we were smaller (we were never a small church). The perception is that I'm harder to get to. I get it. But if I'm guilty of anything, it's bad PR, because in this case, the perception does not equal the reality. Here are some things I'd like to go on record with. No one has ever asked to meet with me and received a refusal. I do not know what the future holds. When we get to 5000 people or 10,000 people, perhaps I won't be able to meet with every person who wants some of my time, but as long as I am able, I will say yes to every person who wants to meet with me. And I'm still able. I've never refused a request. Ever. I don't meet out of reluctance or with a bad attitude. People is what we do. You are who I serve. You are the mission God put in my heart. The best parts of my day are not cranking numbers or doing strategic plans or choosing service elements or designing videos or wording illustrations (though I like doing all of those things). The best parts of my day are spent with people....hearing your stories, carrying your burdens, praying with you and for you, giving advice, learning together, connecting you with small group leaders and ministry leaders where you can grow in your spiritual journey.

Several times this week, people have said to me, "I was so surprised when I got that email from you." I say a lot, "You know, I'm not the President." I'm normal. Sure, I'm busy. But so are you. We're all busy. We're in the people business, though. It's what we do. You are what we do.
Now, this is the shameless-plea-for-help part: Can you please point every PCC person you know to this post, spread the word, and kill any remaining vestige of the notion that says I am unavailable to our people?

So, when do you want to get together?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor,

Thank you so much for this post. I think that just as in Jesus's time people want to go to the source to discuss cares, concerns and situations. You represent Jesus and may I say at this point I am a member of PCC because you live what you preach.

We have hundreds of people who are new to the faith and the wonderful thing about that is they have lots of questions and issues and in this "I want it now" generation we want things in order and no drama. I would like to say that all of our staff are followers of Christ who devote themselves to the study of the word and are great people to talk to. One thing we need to realize is that as believers we are Challenged to study The Word of God. That is an onging challenge that all of us need to take up on a daily basis. I am grateful that our staff is kicking off the Dicipleship "iD" program this January, and they are offering classes to all of PCC, in every stage of your relationship with Christ. As we learn to study the Word we can help those and serve those in the body who are new. Our small group program is another way for people to plug in and walk their faith out with others who are trying to do the same thing.

As our chruch gets bigger I pray that we will be staffed in such a way that you will always and only have to concern yourself with being our shepard. You will always be in demand just as Christ was, but when Christ left this earth He gave us a command to go and make diciples....that wasn't just to the staff but to everyone who steps out in faith to follow Christ.

Thank you again for sharing this with us, and perhaps before we attempt to meet with you we can get some relationships going in the body where we can help each other walk in Faith.

We are doing life together people, and I have to tell you I wouldn't want to be abywhere else!

1 of your biggest fans!
diciple in training