Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Offerings


Last week, we did something unusual...we took a special offering in addition to our normal offering. It was something we wanted to give people the opportunity to do on their way out without feeling pressured.

We decided that this year, the Imagine Christmas series was a good time to emphasize four particular perspectives or vantage points of Christmas: children, single moms, dads, and God. What does Christmas look like from their point of view? Each of them has a unique look. We also decided that each week's special offering would pertain to the unique perspective we were studying. Last week, you gave over $700 to help meet the needs of our children. I'll tell you more about tomorrow and the coming weeks when we get to them. But I don't want you to be surprised.

I also don't want anyone to feel pressured. However, this is our opportunity to give beyond generously. When God sent His only Son into the world (and when Jesus freely chose to come), He gave far more than was required. He was giving beyond generously. He was giving lavishly. We were in need. God had what we required.

I am reminded, especially as I study the different perspectives and angles of Christmas in preparation for these next few weeks, that God has blessed me - and most of you - in a lavish and superabundant way. Yes, with family, friends, life, health, etc, etc, etc. But, frankly, also with money. And I look around and I see that single moms are struggling and dads have lost their jobs and people are losing their houses and some of them don't know how they'll eat next week or where they'll live next month...and I have the capacity to do something about it. Not for all of them - but if we do it together, we can do something. God gave it all for me. Showing the love of God means, in part, that I am to be sacrificial for others, too.

That's why we're doing these special offerings.

It's not because we love money; our money does not even belong to us.

It's because we love people. Because God loves people. And we are His hands and His feet. 

We can help. Let's make a difference this Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brian,
It helps to be reminded what we have and why we need to share it. I can get so inward focused sometimes that I lose the perspective of why we are really here. In awe and respect of your wisdom that God has given you, jim.