Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Beth Brawley's Debut to the Stage

Most of us know Beth best in this role - on a piano or making music in some way.  Even those of us who work closely with her know her best in her capacity to make music and other creative worship elements happen.

But that's not the hat she wore today.

Today, for the first time, Beth made her debut as a speaker on our stage.  For a long time, she and I have been talking about her taking this step.  Beth has some considerable gifts in this area and has worked hard to ensure that she was ready for this step.  I'm proud of her, and I know you are proud of her, too, for the work she did today.  Let her know, won't you, for the specific ways that her words touched you.

Let me also briefly tell you about how I approach others who speak on our platform.  The stage at PCC has tremendous power - power to influence, power to transform, power to motivate.  But it also holds the power to manipulate and to abuse and to lead astray trusting people and to take advantage of an unsuspecting crowd.  The trust that people have built in the platform we have at Powhatan Community Church is a tremendous gift that I hold in the highest regard.  It is both a priceless and a fragile treasure, and I will guard it vigorously.  Therefore, I hold it tightly, not because of ego, but because I want to be absolutely sure that someone standing in my stead will care for you the way that I do.

In tomorrow's post, I'll give you a few criteria that I use, just for you to have and know.

1 comment:

Connie Kottmann said...

Beth spoke many wise and inspiring words, and spoke from the heart! I was blessed by her stepping out from behind that piano.