Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, August 8, 2009

An Amazing Experience

Last night at about 9pm, we wrapped up 2 days that represent one of the highlights of my year so far - Willow's Leadership Summit. I suspect that, if you are reading this and weren't with us you might be saying, 'Hmmm...you don't get out much, do you?!' All I can say is that you'd have to experience it to believe how incredible it is.

Now, like many Summit veterans, I noticed that there was less music; more academia; less live drama; more video productions; less of Bill Hybels; etc. But there was also more.

More progress. Two years ago, Hybels interviewed Bono (from U2), who has taken on the Aids and poverty issue, especially in Africa. At that time, Bono expressed his frustration with the church, which was largely in the background of that fight. But yesterday, he repeated again and again that the church has arrived, is on the scene, and is now leading the charge. He talked about how surprised he is that so much progress has been made in just a couple of years, and he inspired all of us that we can actually live in a world where severe poverty does not exist anywhere on the planet. That was the session where I was completely broken. The clips they showed and the hope that they gave us about what God was doing and the way that churches were pouring themselves out in sacrifice was all....well, I can hardly find the words (and I'm the words guy!) It was overwhelming and, at the same time, incredibly motivating.

There was also more practical information. I was impressed with the round table discussion with Henry Cloud, Carly Fiorina, David Ireland and Bill Hybels. I was grateful for Chip and Dan. I was thankful to hear from Tony Blair and David Gergen.

But what did it for me (what always does it for me) is what happens with our team. Frankly, we can get the information that the summit communicates by buying the Team Edition DVD and watching it later. It's in the combination of real-time learning and then the discussion within and among our team and sub-teams that something organic happens. For me, all of this culminates on Friday evening. Our time together there is as valuable to me as anything else I do all year.

This year, almost 70 folks from PCC attended the Summit. In addition, we sponsored several local pastors to come with us. This is THE premier leadership development tool for PCC. So, if you lead or if you want to lead or if you would just like to get connected with our leadership, why not go ahead and make plans right now to be at next year's Summit!

Thanks to everyone at PCC who helped make this year's summit a great success!

No comments: