Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

4 Books on Marriage, Distractions, and Relationships

I referred to some books last Sunday. I list them here in order of their importance (in my opinion):

1. The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman. I was totally impressed not only with the book itself, but with the amazing exercises in it. One of the most practical and useful books on marriage I've ever read, and I think every couple should have it and do the work. It would help any marriage in any condition. Gottman, by the way, is one of the leading authorities on marriage today. Click here to get a copy.




















2. Married to Distraction by Ed and Sue Hallowell. The first few chapters make this book worth the buy, though the authors overdo their point after a while. Still, its was transforming for me and gave me licence and instruction for eliminating some distractions in my marriage. Click here to get it.




















3. Relationships by Les and Leslie Parrott. A very well done manual for improving relationships. This one particularly is helpful for the person who is NOT married, but is also a great resource for married folks and those wanting deeper friendships. Click here for a copy.




















4. Your Time Starved Marriage by Les and Leslie Parrott. This book was relatively good. Brings a simple awareness of the consequences of time starvation for your marriage and some helpful tools to change the situation. The Parrott's write from a distinctly Christian perspective and are renowned in the church world as marriage experts. I've read much of their stuff and often use it in marriage retreats and on Sundays at PCC. Click here for this book.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The books you recommend seem geared towards people who are still married and I understand why. But I did a search on the relationship book that you mentioned and found several other books on relationships after divorce. One book that caught my eye was, “Rebuilding: When your relationship ends.” While I have not read the book yet, the table of contents seemed to address phases that I am or have gone through so far. I hope you will pass this on for us that are in that stage of our lives.