Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Monday, March 9, 2009

Follow up from Sunday


Well, Sunday was an experiment for us.  Other churches have done 'Ask your question' days and have learned to do it really well.  It was a brand new experience for us, though.  A true experiment.

How did we do?

Well, from the initial responses (they were mixed, but generally positive) I'd say it would be worth another try...maybe this summer or fall.  When you do something for the first time, it's not hard to imagine that you can do it so much better if you had another shot.  It certainly wasn't a disaster.  But, then again, avoiding disaster is not our standard!

We had almost 40 questions come in.  Some were funny, some were serious.  Some were 'nature of God' kinds of questions - about the Trinity, sin, heaven, hell, salvation, dinosaurs in the Bible, etc.  Others were church related.  

A few were personal.

All of them were good.

What will we do now?  Well, today we finished putting them all together in one document.  The next thing we'll do is assign a point person for each question - generally someone on our staff - who will be responsible for writing an answer to that question.  One of the things we'll do is to determine which questions might be good for a service dedicated to that topic.  Other questions can be answered in a blog post, in Ten-Before, in a YouTube video post, in 'The Other Bald Guy' or in other ways.  A couple of the questions need a personal response based on an individual situation that was relevant to the question.  Most will be good for public responses, though all of the questioners will remain anonymous unless we ask for their permission to be identified publicly and the person agrees.

Every question will be addressed through some channel.

I welcome your feedback.  Whether we ever do it again or not, I think it was a worthwhile experiment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian, I think it was GREAT! I really enjoyed the open forum. I was tickled to watch you guys pass the questions to each other. It was informational as well as entertaining.

I must say there were MANY tears flowing while you talked about Kevin. Although I had already been aware of the situation, I didn't realize how it would be to hear it from you. It was emotional but yet inspiring.

I can only wish everyone at PCC and Kevin and his family the Best.

Susan L. shared a story with me after the service about you and Kevin visiting Randy. She told me how it was sort of out of the box what Kevin had told Randy, however, amazing how it really helped Randy to pray again. It just proves to me that you and Kevin are wonderful men. I am blessed to have you guys in my life.

Warm HUGS!
Denise Malley