Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ask Your Question!

Yesterday, I talked about experiments.

Well, we're trying one this coming Sunday.  A lot of churches like ours regularly (2-4 times a year) do a Sunday where folks just ask questions of the Senior Pastor (and sometimes other staff).  We've never done this, but I've always wanted to.  So, we're going to try it this week.

We did get some questions last Sunday.  Also, you will have an opportunity to ask your question live and in the moment through a text message during the service.  But I would encourage you to email your question to myquestion@powhatancc.org 

We will not see most questions ahead of time.  Someone will sort through them and throw them at us on Sunday morning.  We'll answer them with no real chance to 'prepare' some pat answer.  All questions are fair game - personal questions, church related, theological (the nature of God, sin, heaven and hell, etc.).  Ask away.  

If we don't get to all of them (and we probably won't), we'll address them on this blog and other forums that are appropriate.

Thanks for helping make this a great day!  (or it could end up in the list of 'well, now we can say we tried that!')

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many years ago I belonged to a church who did this with a pastor and it was amazing!!!

Just some thoughts if you try this again...

Maybe next time just have Brian up there and not a crew of other staff members.

I liked the questions, however felt the answers should have been kept shorter. Also, it was clear that the staff knew the questions that were coming at them. I like it better when the Pastor doesnt know the questions.

And lastly, I dont know Sammy, but from what I have seen, he seems like a very intelligent man. However, up on stage he appeared to be put up to look and dumb and be a part of a comedy act. Not so funny at all!

Brian C. Hughes said...

I really appreciate your comment. You point out a few things that are of great value to us. Let me address a couple of points.

1) We learned a lot about seeing the questions in advance. You were obviously in the first service. Most of the questions that came to us during that service were questions I had seen but that wasn't my intent. Some folks on our team brought this up to me in between services. I didn't mean for that to happen. We corrected it, though, and it was so much better during the second service (as far at this point is concerned). I think the only question I had seen was the last one, about Kevin, during the 2nd service. So, we learned a good lesson.

2) I appreciate your insight about Sammy and the interaction we had. I need to go back and look at the videos, and I'm glad you brought this up. I had no idea it appeared that way. But I want to assure you that our intent was to have a good exchange, not to make Sammy or anyone look bad. Because Sammy and I both have a good bit of formal theological education, we thought it would be good to have multiple voices. I was hoping for the two of us to keep it light, but also at times to even disagree, showing our folks that we don't always have to see eye-to-eye on everything.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback, it's really helpful.

Brian