Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2nd Online Church Experience

Dennis Green has done a huge amount of research into this online church thing. He told me that Barefoot Community Church, in Myrtle Beach, had one of the best experiences and was a leader in this area. So, after attending Lifechurch.tv at 8, I raced over to www.barefootchurchlife.com at 9:30. Along with a countdown to the service, there was a lot of patriotic quotes and flags.

They started right on time, just like Lifechurch did, and went straight to the worship leader. Immedia
tely, it was obvious that the quality wasn't as good as lifechurch. However, I don't think that's a f
air comparison. Nobody can do it as well as Lifechurch because of the millions of dollars they've invested in equipment.

Anyway, the quality wasn't poor at all at Barefoot. It was good camera work, good sound, good picture. Definitely more our league. In some ways, I like the chatroom for Barefoot better than Lifechurch's.

I especially like the tabs for prayer, the online connect card and the YouVersion Bible reading plan tab.

The chat room wasn't very active, though. I was one of only 4 people there. There was very little conversation. The teaching pastor was good and engaging.

Dennis tells me that the campus pastor has 'meeting' times where she is online at certain times that she announces and you can go there and talk to her casually. Of course, you can also chat live with her by appointment on facebook.

I thought the online experience was good, but it was too long (75 minutes) and wasn't all that creative. I think you can do long if it's creative, but long and un-creative = a little blah. Let's see what happens at 11:15 at NewSpring. I'll talk about that tomorrow.

No comments: