Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Need some ideas...

I'm preparing for some training I'm doing in a few days with some PCC folks who want to gain greater proficiency at hospital visitation. I'm really excited about it and I'm drawing on a lot of resources. We'll do case studies, some role playing, and share some good information and questions. We have such an exceptional care team, and I love being around them and I'm so grateful for what they do.

What I'm looking for are a couple of movie clips. Can you think of a scene from a movie where someone visits someone who is sick or going through a crisis or in trouble, etc. Examples of both positive and negative experiences (how to or how NOT to) are welcome. If you have any ideas, you can post them here or email them to me at brian at powhatancommunitychurch dot org.

Thanks for your help.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gayle Sayers visiting Brian Piccolo that last time in Brian's Song.

Wyatt Earp (Kirt Russell) visiting a hospitalized Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) at the end of Gunfight at the OK Coral.

Anonymous said...

Terms of Endearment...Shirley Maclaine and Debra Winger and whoever played Wingers husband. Also Philadelphia with Tom Hanks..quite contraversial for it's time but a great movie

Anonymous said...

Patch Adams with Robin Williams

Anonymous said...

Hey Doc,

Just wanted to say when you are doing this training....I know what it is like to have a long term illness and in the beginning when people would visit me in the hospital the one thing that everone said as they left was" If you need anything call me"
While this is ther intention it is very difficult for the person to call because with a long term illness you don't want to call people when you have a need because what if tomorrow you have an even greater need. Then there are the people you call and they have their own lives and problems to deal with and the person calling realizes that, and they feel like they are putting people out.

That is the beauty of our Care Team! They can spread the help out and no one has to fall in the cracks.

I hope this is helpful. It is very difficult for people in need to ask for help, the better we understand that the more we can identify some of the common things that will help anyone in that situation.

Thanks for all that you and Rachel are doing to make our teams so effective! bp

Jackie said...

I am sure there has GOT to be some great bedside wisdom in THE BUCKET LIST.