Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Monday, November 16, 2009

Coaching Training

There is a new discipline called coaching. I say it's new, but it has actually been around for a few years. It's a rather interesting relationship that is somewhere between mentor and supervisor. Coaching is described in these ways:
  • “Coaching is the hands-on process of helping someone to succeed.”
  • “It’s the art of helping someone to do what they don’t want to do so they can accomplish what they do want to accomplish.”
  • “A coach is an unreasonable friend.”
I spent all day today in my second training event for coaches. The more I learn about it, the more I see the benefits of it. It can help me as I oversee and lead our staff, other leaders in the church, and a team of campus pastors as we become a multi-site church.

As we expand with facilities and new locations, my ability to coach, lead, and manage our staff will increase. This kind of training will prove invaluable in the days to come. It's a skill set I have long needed to better develop. There are others at our church who would also benefit from this kind of training, too. I hope to be able to have a coaching training for some of our leaders in 2010.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Doc,

Sign Me up! If I'm still here, I'll be there. There's a title for a sermon if I ever heard one.