Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Friday, July 17, 2009

Relying on God to Multiply

I suppose that most of us can relate to beginning a day and looking at all that you have to get done and thinking, 'there is no way'. That's how I feel today. I have 36 hours to finish 4 major writing pieces, make a couple dozen contacts, respond to a couple hundred emails... And then there are a bunch of personal things to take care of - banking, packing, cleaning, checking the oil.

I leave for vacation soon and am feeling the normal pressure that I always feel before I go on vacation. But I can't get that text out of my mind from Colossians 4: 'Make the most of every opportunity' 'Redeem the time'

God is the God of all things...including time and including physics. If He can multiply 5 loaves and 2 fish to feed thousands of people, than he can multiply my work to go farther than it would normally go under my human hands alone.

Maybe you have felt like I feel this morning...perhaps you feel like that today. Pray that God would help you take a deep breath, form a little smile, and trust Him to be the multiplier of faithful efforts.

Help us make the most of every opportunity today, God. Help us redeem the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Knowing that we have an upcoming series on Colossians...during my quiet time I have started re-reading this awesome book. Reading what you wrote in your blog today I am reminded what Paul wrote in Chapter 1 vs 24 thru 29 which says: 24Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints. 27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
28We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.

I am so glad to have a pastor who labors like you do and who in spite of all the trials you face for your own life and for PCC as your flock I want to thank you for your endurance and your steadfast love for the Lord and the mission He called you too.

I Pray that you will be as agressive and assertive in your time of vacation (Sabboth) as you are in your mission.

Enjoy yourself Doc and know that your church loves you and is praying for you and Susan and the kids....for saftey...rest...and joy!