Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dinner With Old Friends

I only keep up with one friend from my high school days. Just one. Actually, Will and I have known each other since the 3rd grade. Will and his family were pivotal in my spiritual journey, as they were involved in their church (my family didn't go to church). They invited me to be a part of church life. It was in their church that I was baptized when I was 16. Will and I were in each other's weddings, too, and we have lots of cherished memories together. We can go long spells without talking and then just pick up where we left off.

We hadn't seen each other in over a year, but a couple of months ago we put some time on the calendar and the day finally came. He and Lynn and their 4 kids came over last night. It was such a great time. I especially loved watching our kids play and getting in the middle of it all with them.

As I reflect on my own words from Sunday, it reminds me that I just don't make enough time for friends. Note that I didn't say I didn't have enough time. We all get the same amount. No amount of money can buy even one additional second. But we are capable of 'making the most of every opportunity.' We took the opportunity...we 'redeemed the time' and it was good.

I'm looking forward to Wednesday when some folks from my small group will catch up (not everyone can make it) over some burgers. We break during the summer, but it's good to see what's going on with each other. We're redeeming the time.

How about you...do you have some friends you need to contact...to 'redeem the time'?

No comments: