Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Monday, July 6, 2009

God Speaks

One of the methods that God uses to speak to me (the one He usually uses) is to say the same thing through multiple, independent sources. So, a pastor who's blog I follow might say something and then somebody in my small group might say the same exact thing and then I'll read some piece of Scripture that says that same thing again and then I'm driving and see a road sign that says the same thing again. Finally, I respond, "OK, God. I hear you now."

Well, I just heard something clearly. Let me explain how the puzzle came together.

1. For the past few weeks, I've been thinking that, maybe - just maybe - we've gotten a little distracted from our basic, core mission - to reach people who are searching for God. I feel like I've been a little distracted from it in my personal life (I don't have as many friends who don't go to church or who aren't sure about Jesus as I used to) and, frankly, I feel like we've been a little distracted at PCC. We're still doing it, so don't get me wrong. We're just not doing it as well as we could be.

2. Yesterday, I really felt that God spoke to all of us through the scripture from Ephesians: "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. (Ephesians 5:15-17, NIV, emphasis mine). We thought about what it means to make the most of every opportunity, and the focus was mostly on our individual choices about how we each spend our time.

3. I started thinking: What does it mean for the church to 'make the most of every opportunity'?

4. In the service yesterday, I got to meet two ladies who were there for the first time. They worked together at a local business and came to PCC on their lunch break! (because someone invited them, by the way)

5. This morning I get up and read from Colossians again. This is part of the text I read today: "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity." (Colossians 4:5, NIV, emphasis mine)

To me, that was like God saying, "Look, I've been trying to get you to refocus your life and the church. PCC was created for a purpose. Keep your focus on the outsider and make the most of every opportunity." What does it mean for us to make the most of every opportunity when it comes to the way we approach and treat those who are not yet inside the church? What does it mean for us to refocus to our core mission and our core purpose?

Isn't it cool when God speaks?

No comments: