Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Praying for Our Leaders

Sunday, I stood everyone up in both services as I walked out onto the stage.  I told you that the Bible teaches us to pray for those in authority over us, for our government officials and for our leaders.  It doesn't matter, I said, whether you are conservative or liberal, democrat or republican, black or white...the voting is over.  Barack Obama is the President.  He inherits some of the greatest difficulties our country has seen in generations.  He deserves our prayers and he needs them.  Then I made this statement:  "With all of the pastoral compassion I have, I say to you that if you cannot pray for our new President, you have a spiritual problem."  

I know this offended some of you, but I stand by that statement.  I take the idea from 1 Timothy 1:1-3  "The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation.  This is the way our Savior God wants us to live."  (The Message)

Some of you do not consider Barack Obama a friend in the White House.  His views are opposed to your values, his party is the enemy of your tradition.  I understand.  I disagree about many of his positions (I also disagreed with his many of opponent's positions, by the way).  But even if you consider him the 'enemy', consider Jesus own words, "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..." (Matthew 5:43-44, NIV).

NOTE:  I am NOT adovocating the notion that our new President is the enemy.  I'm simply acknowledging that some people feel that way.

Regardless of how you feel, you have no ground to stand on (Biblically speaking) for not sincerely praying for President Obama's leadership.  My comments never endorsed his positions, party, or policies.  I've never done that (for any side) and I never will.  I MAY, at times, look at issues that have Biblical implications, but God is beyond and above American politics.  Still, we are called to pray for those who lead our governments, as you can see in these texts.

I love what Beth Brawley wrote about this.  Let me quote her here:

"I don't have an Obama sticker on my car.  I will not encourage others to follow him blindly.  I am NOT supporting him with this blog post or anything else you might see.  I'm not encouraging people one way or the other politically.  I don't think that NOT supporting his policies gives you a spiritual problem - and I don't think that's what Brian said, either.The issue is obeying GOD.  I'll obey GOD in this area: I'll pray for him. And when the things he encourages US to do match up with what God has told me to do (like help others in the community, etc.), I'll support that. Bottom line is this:  I believe that if I refuse to pray for ANYBODY - no matter who, friend or foe, liberal conservative, FDR or Hitler - that I have a 'spiritual problem'.  Because prayer is not political.  It's about God.  PCC will NEVER force political ideology on anybody.  In agreeing to pray for him, I think I can effectively say "God has the REAL power here.  GOD can change things.  GOD can provide help and guidance."

So, I encourage you again to pray for President Obama - for the success of his leadership, for the Divine guidance that he will need beginning today.  We all need all of the wisdom that God will give to our national leaders at this moment.  And besides that, it's the right and Biblical thing to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what Beth Brawley wrote about this on her blog. Let me quote her here:
"

"

Too bad that wasn't in the blog, but in an email that I believed at the time was not public. Wow. I'm not sure what to think about this.

Weird.

Anonymous said...

I agree that we should pray for our leaders and country. God has blessed America for years and sometimes it seems we are taking that for granted. History is full of examples why we need to keep praying and most importantly God requests it. I will pray for the President and all elected officials. Thanks for the reminder that God is asking us to do this.

Tina

Beth said...

To anonymous #1 - yup, you're right. I actually wrote those words in an email in response to some OTHER comments, and I shared that email with Brian, who thought I'd told them that I'd written them on my blog (gets confusing, doesn't it?)

But I think we're all good, wherever the words were uttered. I'll stand by them...