Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Making the games

This morning was my youngest son's second basketball game.  It was an early game - 8am.  Susan and I got him up and we were all scrambling to get out on time.  I was throwing his shoes on and was only half dressed when he looked at me and asked,
"Are you coming, too, Dad?"

It was a convicting question.  How could even wonder if I would come to his game?  I mean, yes, I'm gone a lot.  Yes, I work all the time.  Yes, I'm not home much.  But I don't miss games.  He should know that!  Shouldn't he?  But how could he?  

His was a reasonable question, based on a logical, rational foundation:  'Dad's not here much, so why should I expect he would be there much, either?'

I looked at him, seeing the hint of disappointment in his eye, and - with every ounce of fatherhood in my bones I spoke, "Joshua, Dad doesn't miss games.  Unless there is a real emergency, you can count on me.  I'll be there."  He smiled.  It was sincere and it spoke volumes to me.

I started to joke with him.  "You want to know why?  Because there's this kid who plays in those games...but I can't remember their name...Suzie?   Jerry?   Billy?..."  With each name, he's yell, "NO...His name is JOSHUA!!!"  But I'd ignore him and just keep naming another kid.  

One day, someone else will be the Senior Pastor of Powhatan Community Church.  Someone else will mow my grass, live in my house, type on this keyboard, manage this money.  But nobody else is called to be a Dad to these kids except me.  God reminded me of that today through the simple but profound question of a7 year old son to his distracted father.  And I'm really grateful.


2 comments:

just a girl said...

They (kids) make us slow down sometimes and remind us what it is all about.

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Take advantage of EVERY Opportunity to have those moments.
God created Family long before He established church.

There is no sermon that can be preached, no program that can be implemented that can get those moments back.

I wish I knew then what you have realized now it would have made a major difference in my relationship with my kids. Thanks be to God that it's never too late to be a great dad and God will always open those doors when we seek Him 1st.

Your greatness as a man of God has a lot to do with the father you are to your son and more importantly the son you are to your Heavenly father.

Thank you for the example that you are to all of us, your openess and transparency makes me want to be a better dad to my kids who are all grown up.