Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mixed Emotions

It has been an insane week.  I say that a lot - about a lot of weeks - but it usually relates to my schedule, packed with meetings, emails, writing, studying, coaching, teaching, planning, leading and a million other things.  But this week's insanity was, and is, much deeper than hours worked and sleep missed.  It's rooted in the love of some really close friends, the love of our church, and the love of a God who I believe with all my heart wants the very best for all of us.  

It has been an emotionally charged week...for me, and for many of you.  When I find my emotions running high, I have to return to my Core Values - the truths that I know from experience and faith.  They ground me when my emotions want to take me off the deep end.  Here are a few of my personal Core Values:

  • There is never a moment when I am not on God's mind.
  • My most important human role is to protect and care for my family, first as a husband to Susan, then as a father to my children.
  • God gifted me to do a few things, and I am supposed to do them to the best of my ability.
  • The local church is the hope of the world.  And there is nothing like the local church when the local church is working right.
  • I am not better than anyone else.
  • Loyalty and hard work are important.
  • I can do nothing without God, but I can do anything through Christ.
  • Words Matter.  
Hope to see you at PCC tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you and PCC. What needed to be done was tough but necessary. Sometimes that is part of God's plan and message. Speaking of message did you notice anything about the pic of the US Air plane/passengers in the Hudson. Resembled a cross to me with the passengers on either side and Christ in the middle saving them. A miracle, think there was a message in that for all of us. Just hope we are paying attention. God bless....