Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Letter That Made Me Cry

I came into my office one morning this week and one of our office staff had put this envelop on my desk that just broke my heart.  I reached out to the sender and got  his permission to share it with you.  I'll reveal his identity and tell the story in a minute, but a little background first.

For the past few months, we've been celebrating PCC's 10th year anniversary.  One of the ways we did that was by looking around and saying "10 years is a special time!  Maybe some people would like to make a special anniversary gift if PCC has meant something to them."

I know I would.  In fact, Susan and I did.  We dug deeply, sold something and gave all we could.  After 10 years, PCC has meant a lot to us.  There are some needs we think should be met.  And we think the dream of PCC can and should be even larger than we ever imagined, too.

You can find out more about 10 Dreams by clicking here.

Others have joined in, and we are about halfway to our goal of $100,000.

One more story before the getting to my letter.  A couple of Sunday's ago, a lady stopped me randomly and asked, "Can I still give to 10 Dreams?" "You bet!" I told her.  So she gave a gift.  Wow!

It occurred to me that perhaps folks just don't know.  I've not said a lot about it because I waver between keeping these kinds of things in front of people and having them grow tired of hearing about them.  This is something I've always struggled with.

In addition to Susan and I giving a one-time gift, we committed 12 monthly smaller gifts - over and above our tithe to PCC, and given over the course of the entire year.  Combined, we made a huge sacrifice to 10 Dreams, and that could only be done if we had a year to do it.  My guess is that most people are like us - that you need some time in order to be a part of something big like this.

But over time, a little adds up to a lot.

Which brings me back to my office that day.

I walk in, and I get this envelope.


Eli Tiller - who I asked permission to share this story - had saved his money to send in $10 to 10 Dreams.  I told him that his gift might inspire others.  I asked him if he thought that would be ok, and in typical Eli fashion, with that Eli grin, he said, "Sure!"

We can do this.  We can Dream again.  You can be a part of it.

10 Dreams

No comments: