Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Sunday, May 13, 2012

How and What To Share

Today, I talked about sharing your personal story of life change.  We used the text from John 9 about the blind man who couldn't answer all of the questions, but could bear witness to his experience, "I don't know a lotof things about Jesus, but I do know this: I was blind, but now I see."

Here is a brief outline of how you might learn to tell your story:

1. What my life was like before I met Jesus Christ?  You might talk about your circumstances, attitudes or things that were important to you.  Was there a 'substitute' for God in your life, like work, success, sex, money, drugs/alcohol, status or leisure?

2.  How I realized I needed Christ?  What were the markers or steps that led to your decision to follow Jesus? What was the defining thing (hurt, struggle, pain, problems, etc.) that was the impetus to your coming or being open to Him?

3.  How I committed my life to Christ?  What, specifically did you do to step across the line of faith?  What was the gist of the prayer you prayed (what did you say to God)?

4.  The difference it has made in my life.  This is where the rubber meets the road.  What benefits have you experienced or felt.  What problems have been resolved?  How has Jesus changed your life?**

I would highly recommend that you do the following:

1) Write out your story and learn to tell it.  Use the matrix above to help.

2) Choose one or 2 defining scriptures.  But whatever you do, don't just spit memorized Bible verses at people.  I'm talking about a text that moved you to your core when you needed God most.  For me, Romans 8:28 and Genesis 50:20 were it.  They teach that God can use ANYTHING in my life to bring good - even my horrible mistakes and terrible sin.  I know those texts and have them always in the front of my mind.

3) Practice telling your story to others in your small group.

4) Keep your eyes and ears open!  God wants to use your story - no matter what it is - to change the world!





**I borrowed and adapted this from Saddleback Community Church


No comments: