Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still Learning

We never stop learning.  And if you lead a team, you should always be learning how to lead it better, grow it, push the edges, pass the baton, etc. There is SO much to learn!  The more I know, the more I realize how little I know!

 So, months ago, Susan and I booked some time with our friends Jimmie and Lori Davidson.  The Davidson's planted the Highlands Fellowship in Abingdon, which is in southwest Virginia.  I know...someone is asking, "Who lives in Abingdon?"  And yet, Jimmie and Lori led that new church plant to grow from 156 people when they started in 1995 to thousands each weekend now at one of 5 campuses in 2 states!  There were 11,000 people who attended Highlands this past Christmas, and thousands of people have been baptized.  All from the middle of nowhere!

I am hungry to learn and to take my own growth and leadership to a new place and I'm so excited about this next season for PCC.  I really believe that God is going to blow the doors off of our church in so many ways in the next few months and years.

Jimmie and Lori gave us lots of time.  With a church their size and knowing the demands on a pastor in a megachurch, it was incredibly humbling to have them invest so heavily and personally in us.  Not only did they teach us great leadership stuff, they modeled the kind of hospitality, community and friendship that I think God is proud of.


We raced back home yesterday and arrived just in time for me to make PCC's Steering Team meeting - which, as you can imagine, was full of energy as I shared some of the great new things I had learned.  And today, I'm playing some catch up because of missing a day and a half of my normal work.  But it was worth it!


No comments: