Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Sunday, November 6, 2011

What over Why

I spend a lot of time every week figuring out what I'm going to say.  My mantra is 'Words Matter' and, because I truly believe that, I consider every word, construct every story, shape every moment.  I think that the Spirit of God works through our preparation and I believe it honors your gift (any and every gift) to come prepared.

But in spite of the pre-service work, sometimes you discover something in the moment that is better that what you prepared for the moment.  At the end of the 11:15 service today, I made such a discovery.  We do three services every Sunday (2 in Powhatan, 1 at Westchester).  So only one group of our folks was a part of this discovery, and I thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

(If you want to see today's service, you can catch it at pccwiredlive.net)

My revelation went something like this:  People say that you shouldn't ask God 'why'.  I think it's ok to ask Him why.  He can take it.  The 'why' question is neither inappropriate nor irreverent.  But it is incomplete.  The answers will not usually satisfy.  They fall short.

But there is a better question.  The question we should ask is...What.  What are you going to do with this situation, tragedy, sin, disaster, failure...  the list goes on.  But the one question remains: What.  If God's promise in Romans 8:28 is to make something good come out of every bad, than we should ask - and expect an answer - "What are you going to do with this, God?"

It was a great day at PCC.  People are inviting others.  It's a great time to come back to church.  See you next Sunday!

No comments: