Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Friday, April 1, 2011

Easter Soul Prep Day 2

(If you didn't read yesterday's post, it might help you know what we're doing. Click here to read it.)

John 2 is notable for several reasons. Jesus' first miracle is recorded at Cana as he turns water into wine at a wedding. He also makes the bold and inflammatory statement, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days." Of course, he wasn't talking about the brick and mortar structure, but the pharisees didn't know that. If you wanted, you could spend a lot of time unpacking the notion of the 'temple' and all the symbolism there. I would encourage you to go deeper if you feel nudged.

What struck me in chapter 2, though, was the tension between 2:11 and 2:22. In the former, after the miracle in Cana, Jesus' disciples 'put their faith in him.' But then John tells us in v.22 that after Jesus was crucified and resurrected, then 'they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.' So which was it? Did their faith happen early in Jesus' ministry or did it happen after He rose from the dead?

The answer, of course, is...yes. Both.

This is helpful to me, and I'll consider it a word from God. My faith is real, potent, formative in my life. I have seen God move, seen Him do miraculous things, seen him change me. But that same faith is also still progressing, still maturing. It is not fully developed, not fully believing. I am not all that God wants me to be yet.

So, this little conflict between John's 2 verses is refreshing. I have faith. But not all the faith I need. More faith is still coming.

Chapter 3 tomorrow.

1 comment:

JulieS said...

Brian, Thank you for explaining the different verses concerning believing in Jesus at different times. This was something that had puzzled me, and your perspective really helped me to make the connection. ~ JulieS