Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Monday, March 21, 2011

YOU are a church builder...

Yesterday, I made this statement: "Anyone who claims that Jesus is the Son of God is called to be a church builder." God builds the church, and He does it through us. I really believe that. I also believe that the local church is the hope of the world (Bill Hybels coined this phrase). I think the call in Matthew 16 to Peter was not unique to Peter, nor was it that there was something distinctly special about Peter. I think Peter spoke up with the bold conviction about who Jesus is, and that's exactly the kind of person God is looking for.

I believe Jesus is the Messiah (which also means 'Savior'), therefore I am a church builder.

This is a classic 'if ~ then' statement. If you believe, then you are called to build the church. No skill is needed. On the job training is the only kind required. Your past may be an asset to church building, but in any event, it is never a dis-qualifier.

So, the question is: Why is every Christ follower NOT involved in church building? That's what I want to explore this week, AND I want to give you some ideas about how to remedy this. Remember, this is the call that Jesus Christ makes to us. You are called to build the church.

First, take a look at Acts 2:41-47, Acts 4:32-35, and re-read Matthew 16:13-18. What are some of the things the early church did? In what ways do we practice those things? In what ways have we abandoned them? How do these Scriptures change you and the way you think? How will they change your actions and behaviors?

More tomorrow...

No comments: