Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Proverbs 30

I have been reading Proverbs for a couple of months now. One chapter every day - whichever chapter corresponds to that day of the month. It's convenient, since there are 31 Proverbs (or chapters).*

Today, I read the 30th chapter. Written by Agur (I don't know anything about him). Somewhat weird, especially the beginning. Here's a guy who says he's gotten no wisdom and doesn't really know or understand God...and then he goes on to say, "Every word of God is flawless..." and other praises. I haven't figured this one out yet.

However, the reason I write about it today concerns Agur's deep thinking. He takes his time to ponder the way 'things' are - in nature, in life, in relationships.

"There are three things that are never satisfied...the grave, the barren womb, land - which is never satisfied with water." (v.15-16)

"There are [four] things that are too amazing for me - that I do not understand...the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a snake on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas, and the way of a man with a maiden." (v.18-19)

I don't think enough...ponder enough. I don't sit on the front porch in a rocking chair and consider enough. I don't listen enough to the voice of God speaking through the creation and the world around me. Proverbs 30 is helping me...even though I may not understand every part of it. Maybe it can help you, too.

*there are actually many proverbs contained in every chapter, so I prefer to say that there are 31 'chapters' instead of 31 'proverbs'.

No comments: