Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Sunday, May 30, 2010

No More Free Stuff...

Well...I guess the title of this post is a little ominous. What I'm really talking about is the end of the series that we finished today. Four weeks. Free Stuff.

In 11 years of speaking in churches, this is the first time I think I've done a four week series on giving.

I've done an entire series on stewardship, which included giving but also taught about stewardship of stuff and material possessions, stewardship of time, etc.

This series was four weeks - all on giving. Money. And it was hard. But I think it made a difference. There is some soul searching for me.

1) Do I care that PCC offerings go up? Yes.
What we do matters! And it takes money to do it. We have a mortgage to pay, building to finish, staff to treat fairly, missions to do, equipment, ministry, supplies and materials, etc., etc. Not to mention things like...air conditioning. There is an endless need, but a very finite amount of money. So, if offerings go up, we can do more and be more effective, which will translate into reaching more people and affecting more life change for the better. I’m unashamed in this: I do hope our giving goes up.

2) Was increasing offerings my primary goal for the Free Stuff series? No.
My primary goal was to help people see that they’ll never have the best life God wants for them until they let go of their money. (And see it as belonging to God in the first place). Living generously and giving lavishly is God’s plan for our lives. It makes us more like Him (He loved, so He gave); makes money serve us (instead of the other way around); and is His ‘Plan A’ for funding His work. God doesn’t need your money. But you need to give it. Jesus said that he came for you to have life and have it to the fullest. You can only get there when you live generously. I believe that with all my heart.

Resources:
In case you want to live like this, but don’t know how to begin, let me offer you some resources:

• Gordon McDonald wrote a 4 week devotional guide called Generosity. You can get a copy at www.generositybook.com. I studied it for this series and it was very compelling. I highly recommend it.
• Ron Blue, Larry Burkett, and Dave Ramsey are all trusted authors when it comes to getting your financial house in order. I would personally read anything they have written.
• Crown Ministries has helpful resources, worksheets, etc, that thousands have utilized to change their lives. www.crown.org.

Now onto the next series…"Only If..." more on that this week!

No comments: