Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The second day...

If you liked day 1, let's journey down the path a little. I don't know how far I'll take this, but we'll see. By the way, I agree with the comment about the Journal we carry. It is the best and most effective consistent Bible reading plan I know, and even provides a format for how to pray each day, etc. It's very good. I know you are planning to get one on Sunday, but in case you don't have one at this moment, today is day 2 of the year. So...let's read Genesis 2 and Psalm 15. Go ahead, read them. I'll wait .......................................................................................................................

......................................................................................................................................................................

Did you read it? Good. Congratulations!

You know what jumps out at me from Genesis? Honestly - I never thought about this before: look at the things that were a part of our lives before sin. Work. Adam was to work the garden for all eternity. It wasn't his curse, it was his blessing! I think that's incredible. No wonder many of us love to work! Seriously - it's part of why we were made. Now, plenty of us overdo it, to be sure. But this is really revolutionary to me. Also, before sin, we had permission for a healthy appetite. God didn't say to Adam, 'avoid the bananas - they'll stop you up and they have a lot of carbs...don't eat the pork because of the fat content...and too much sugar can go straight to your hips." He just said, 'eat anything you want.' Not sure what the application to my life is there, except that if I would only eat natural, non-processed food, I could probably eat anything I wanted and all that I wanted. But I'm not sure about that. And, of course, the man and his wife were both naked and felt no shame. I'm kind of diggin' this garden scene!

There are plenty of questions. Why did God need to rest on the 7th day? Was God tired? We know where the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers are, but where are the other two? If God knew that A & E would eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, why'd he put it there? OR why not give it a steel skin so they couldn't bite through?

I think I know the answers to some of these questions and I have other questions and I'm sure you do, too. The point is to ask them - not of me, but of God. Engage Him, talk to Him, listen. He's talking...

Don't forget the Psalm!

No comments: