Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

God Story #4

Mary Elizabeth Dickerson (pictured at left with her PCC small group) has a powerful God Story she wanted to share...read below and then take a moment to share your reaction in the comments...

When I was fifteen I was given the last sentence from the passage, Isaiah 11:6. It states, “And a little boy will lead them.” Even though at the time I wasn’t a practicing Christian I remembered that piece of the verse. Now, of course I do know that they were speaking of Jesus, but it would take on new meaning eleven years later. Another little boy would help lead me.

In 2006 I had the honor and privilege of being a first grade teacher to Eli Tiller. I knew that Eli would make an impact on my first year of teaching; however, I never knew the role that he and his parents would play in leading me back to Christ. In the fall of 2006 the Tillers invited me to their church, PCC. They spoke highly of it and Eli really enjoyed sharing the songs from Power Jam. After speaking to them and Matt Morin (another PCC member) a few times I decided that I would check it out. Little did I know that those individuals and the decision to go would change my life.

My first service at PCC was on October 29, 2006. This date would end up being a spiritual marker - funny how God does that and we have no clue. I wanted to remember this date because in a year I hoped to still be at PCC. I thought that if I could plant my feet at a church for a year that would be a huge step for me. God had a much bigger plan. I attended the service with my boyfriend of three years. My intentions were that my boyfriend and I would become stronger together and stronger with Christ at the head of our relationship. I prayed hard for fulfillment, marriage, and children with this person. God heard my prayers, but He had a much bigger plan. For the first eleven months I attended every service, developed an understanding of His word, what it meant to follow God’s will, and what it meant to really be a Christian. It was an entirely new world - a better world.

In September of 2007 I was still at PCC. My three year relationship had just ended and I was devastated. I needed God to fill me. God and I had many discussions about my loneliness, and how broken I felt. Then I felt God nudging me to a small group. I went on PCC’s website and searched for a group where I knew no one’s name. I was scared to be connected because I had learned that connections really didn’t mean a whole lot. God knew better. I attended my first young adult small group on September 18, 2006. That night I reconnected with Sammy Frame and Matt Towler (two former classmates - so much for not knowing anyone!) I immediately felt connected and was drawn to this group of people. I knew that they would be critical in my walk with Christ but I had no idea how critical they would be.

After being in this small group for less than a month my dad became ill. He had been suffering from cirrhosis of the liver for about three years. His body was breaking down and I always thought we would lose him way too early but even I could not imagine how early. He entered the ICU at Johnston Willis hospital in mid-October. During that time my small group would call, take me to dinner, listen to me cry, pray diligently for his health, and for God’s will in this matter. Some days my dad was better than others.

I knew the prayers were working but I knew that I wasn’t being honest about what I wanted my small group to pray for. God told me to be honest and I knew if I was then He would be faithful. I called Sammy Frame, Andy Vaughn, and Lana Brown and I said, “I want you to stop praying for his health. I can handle his death but only if I know that he will be saved. Please pray that God will speak to him and change him.”

My dad had been in and out of consciousness for several days. I began to panic because in my mind I had no idea how to measure if there was any change. You never know someone’s relationship with the Lord, but I hadn’t heard my dad mention too many things about God. The fear set in. One night on the phone with Andy I began to panic. I told Andy that I was scared that he would pass away and I’d never know if God reached him. I’ll never forget Andy’s words, “I’ve always heard that we hear God best when we are at our quietest.”

Wow. A couple of days later my dad woke up. He was a different person. He was calm, he seemed at ease, and I heard him say the words “I love you.” It was a change that only his family would’ve recognized. He seemed at peace. It was then that I realized God had answered prayers. God was the only answer for the sudden change in him.

On October 26, 2007 I drove to work like it was any other day. I was so excited because my dad was getting out of the ICU and he was being moved onto another floor. I remember praising God that morning for all that He’d done. I sent out three or four emails that morning updating people on my dad’s progress. Around 12:30 that afternoon my boss came in with one of my family members to let me know that my dad had passed away. My entire body went into shock. This was not supposed to happen! God had made him new - I saw it! He was too young - only 51. I was too young - only 26. What about my mom? What about my brothers?

That was the day that I knew my life would never be the same - but not in the way that I thought. I thought I would end up being broken for forever; that I would never recover and that life was over. God showed me differently.

Within an hour of his passing I was at the hospital. The ICU waiting room filled with people who came out of love and concern. Kevin Salyer came to pray with us. I called members of my small group and we prayed, cried, and they listened. The next several days would be a blur.

On the morning of my Dad’s funeral I opened my Bible. I was hoping for some sign that it would all be okay. The bulletin from my very first service at PCC fell out. I looked at the date on the top: October 29, 2006.

The day of my Dad’s funeral marked my one year anniversary at Powhatan Community Church.

I cried. Thank you, Jesus. I had prayed for fulfillment, for strong relationships, and for a deeper understanding of His love for me. All of that was delivered on what should have been one of the saddest days of my life. What a blessing to praise Jesus in the storm.

My dad’s funeral was a moment I will never forget. You see, Brian Hughes performed the service, Kevin Salyer, Beth Brawley and Andy Vaughn did the music. What a gift those four people are. Brian had never met my Dad and never pretended that he did. He spoke honestly, he told stories, he made us laugh, and he allowed us to cry. He honored the man that my Dad was without ever knowing him. That is a gift.

Kevin, Beth and Andy did a phenomenal job on the music. I had always heard “Amazing Grace” but I had never understood the significant impact that it would have that day. “How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed…” They also sang, “I Can Only Imagine.” I had this beautiful image of my Dad dancing with ease, and having an amazing feast with our Lord. No more pain, no more anxiety, no more fear. His chains were gone and I knew that only Jesus could do that!

I knew that Powhatan Community Church’s mission was “to reach those who had been unaffected by traditional churches.” I saw that mission lived out - not only in my own life but in my dad’s as well. I can’t help but smile when I think of my dad’s funeral. Odd, isn’t it? Brian performed a service for a man that had not been affected by any church. However, through prayer and the dedication of PCC’s members he found God in the last moments of his life. That gift is priceless. A man that had been unaffected was delivered into the kingdom of heaven. Amen! I once heard that “God makes a way through the pain.” That has been more than evident in my life.

I remember sitting at the burial site, hearing Brian’s words and looking around so that I could take it all in. I looked around and saw each member of my small group, I saw faces of those who loved my Dad and my friends from college; and, quietly standing over to the side, John and Tricia Tiller. Amazing how God works. God had brought my entire year full circle. God had used everyone from a seven year old child to people who barely knew me.

He continues to walk through the fire with me and He does it all with grace, with love, and He has remained faithful even when I am not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing! it was uplifting and exciting to hear your story.

Connie Kottmann said...

This has brought tears of gratitude to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing your powerful story. God's love and grace is so abundant, and He always answers our prayers, even in ways we never would have expected...

Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you so much for the blessing you have given others by sharing your story. It reminds me of how God worked in my life, how he connected me to PCC, before the unexpected death of my own father.
Angela M.

Anonymous said...

What a powerful story!!! Thank you for sharing. Reading your story just reassures me how God is our refuge in life's storms!!
Susan L.

Anonymous said...

Mary Elizabeth,

Your story really tugged at my heart. I have been praying for you...that Father's Day wouldn't be too painful for you this year. Heaven isn't as far away as it seems, and I feel sure that your dad is watching you grow and learn in pride.

And how fortunate we are to have Our Heavenly Father, who knows exactly what we need and provides us with comfort and strength!

Lots of love,
Brandee Shafer