Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Monday, June 2, 2008

God Story #3

Becky Edwards is a volunteer in our Resource Ministry and one of the welcoming faces you see on Sunday mornings in the hallway. This past weekend, she had a powerful God moment during the worship service. Here's her God Story:


I just thought I needed to pass on to you the blessing God gave to me today. I know "we" (meaning most church members) tend to point out the things we don't like in a service and somehow forget to notice or relate how we are blessed.

Saturday night, during a very difficult moment, God kept giving me a song to show Himself to me. I sang it over and over. Then He prompted me to ask Him to have that song be sung in church this morning. I can't think of a time I would ever even think to ask Him that so I am so certain that He was the one that even gave me the idea to ask that of Him.

On Sunday morning, I thought we had missed worship time (for being caught in the hall talking!) I must say my faith was probably as small as a mustard seed- but fortunately my God says that is all He needs!

The song we walked in on was wonderful - can't remember what it was but I felt God's presence and was willing to accept less than all He had to offer. I was certain it would be the last song since I had heard probably two others from the hall. But Kevin got up and said something about singing "Hosanna". My heart sparked, but the beginning wasn't familiar so I thought it was a false alarm- a silly childish whim rather than a real request of God. Then we got to the chorus and it was exactly the song God had given me last night! I could not stop sobbing. God, in His infinite soverignity, would have already known that song was going to be sung. He simply wanted me to know that He cared that much about me to give it to me as a gift amidst hundreds of people.

It was more powerful than I can possibly describe in words- but you get the picture. The service was so perfectly God's message to me today.



God often works in ways beyond our expectations - sometimes WAY beyond. Sharing stories like this is part of 'doing life together', learning from one another about our faith journeys and what it really means to be a Christ follower.

If YOU have a 'God Story' of your own, email dennis at powhatan community church dot org or beth at powhatan community church dot org.

And meanwhile, thank God for the blessing in Becky's life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you shared your story.

Anonymous said...

Becky,

Isn't it so wonderful how God takes the time to really know and touch His children as individuals? Thank you for sharing your story. I am praying for you and the rest of the team in Cherokee!

Brandee Shafer