The decisions I make today determine the story I tell tomorrow.
We know this is true, yet we often stick with our current script, even though we know it won't lead us to the story we really want to tell with our lives. Why?
Because staying where you are is much easier than doing something different. There is familiarity in the known. As someone once said, "Most prefer the certainty of misery to the misery of uncertainty." When we make decisions that put our lives on a different path, we are moving into uncertain territory. This can be so frightening that we just stay put.
Which is why we really need to hear from God. If God is the one guiding us in the decisions we're making, we can be sure that our future will be great. Not easy. Not without trouble. But great, nonetheless. That's because we're following the only One who knows what the future holds!
The possible decisions we explored were an exercise in paradox. You can't Go and Stay at the same time. Stopping seems the opposite of Starting. And if you consider it all at once, you could go crazy trying to stop, start, go and stay all at the same time. So, below is a list of things you may consider. Read these phrases with a posture towards heaven. Let God speak to you as you ask Him for guidance. Tell Him that you'll do anything He asks. Ask God to speak to you clearly.
God, should I stay in my current job?
- Should I stop drinking?
- Should I start going to a recovery group?
- Should I stay with my husband or wife, even with the challenges we face?
- Should I go on a mission trip?
- Should I stop looking at porn?
- Should I start giving money to worthy causes or start giving more than I do today?
- Should I start going to a small group and connecting with some new friends?
- Should I stop neglecting my family?
- Should I go see an old friend or a relative with whom I've lost touch?
- Should I start taking classes?
- Should I stay in school?
- Should I start making church a priority?
- Should I stop spending money I don't have?
- Should I stay with this friendship or should I stop it because it's unhealthy?
- Should I start a new habit with my family?
- Should I start praying every day and reading the Bible?
- Should I stop working so much?
Whatever question you have, you can pour your heart out to God. He's not trying to hide from you. "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart" was the declaration that God made to the prophet Jeremiah, and that's the same declaration He makes to you today! Ask Him what to stop doing or start doing or where to go or if you should stay...God want's to help you write the best story possible for your life!