Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Friday, August 19, 2011

The Help

I went to see 'The Help' today. Half the people I know are reading the book, including Susan (my wife), who just finished it. I didn't have room in my reading right now for a novel, so I opted for the movie. Susan and I normally take Fridays as a Sabbath and we often see a movie - something we both enjoy.

Wow. First, to my brothers out there, this is not just a normal chick-flick. It is a cultural statement about the realities of our past without making an indictment on our present. It's a documentary, a family video of our grandparents that we didn't know existed. The Help is one of the most moving films I've ever seen (and I've seen a LOT of films).

Being relatively tender hearted, I was moved to tears several times. But I think this movie could move the hardest of hearts. It left me ashamed that we treated people like that, even though there was no accusation made in the movie. Again, it was so carefully done so as to avoid any kind of 'statement'. It just painted the picture and left the emotions with the audience to go where they might.

This movie makes it into my top 10 list, and I highly recommend it to you.

1 comment:

just a girl said...

I agree with you completely. It is a wonderful book and the movie does the book super justice. After watching the movie, I was so ashamed that people were treated that way and can still be treated that way. What ignorance a person has to think they are better than another person or even an entire race. I hope everyone sees this movie and that their eyes are opened.