Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Working a Split Shift




In the summer, I work a lot of 'split shifts'. You probably know what that is - I think a good bit of medical professionals (and some others) are familiar with the concept. But I'd love to reduce the mystery that surrounds what pastors do all day. And many pastors, because of the necessity of normal ministry and care, work unusual and unpredictable hours.

This is amplified in the summer, when kids are out of school and vacations are planned.

For me, I tend to be most productive in the morning. I love getting up early and reading, studying, writing and being creative before the rest of the world awakens. I get a lot done before 10am. But then my productivity wanes. Because my kids are home all day during the summer (well, the 2 younger ones, anyway), I can take the middle part of the day, when I'm not productive anyway, and play. Then I can return to work in the late afternoon/early evening when I get my creative second wind.

Today was one of those days. I got a lot done early, spent the afternoon at the river with my family and some of our good friends, and was home at 4:30 energized and back at being productive again.

It was a good day, balanced, where I can look back and know that I did it right. I wish I did it this well every day!

No comments: