Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Monday, September 29, 2008

Why Use Secular Songs?


People regularly ask me some version of this question: "Why would we do a secular song during the services on Sunday mornings?" This is a great question and deserves great answer.

  1. Secular music meets people where they are. In Tim Stevens' book Pop Goes the Church, he specifically talks about this subject. He argues that Jesus and Paul both used popular, secular culture - including philosophy and music - to bridge the distance with people and form some common basis for a conversation. In this way, people would know that they weren't a project or a trophy, but that Jesus (and Paul) really cared about them. One of the best examples of this is in Acts 17. While in Athens, instead of condemning the people, he actually honors their secular culture and then uses it as a basis for helping them to see God.
  2. Secular music helps ease the tension. When people who don't go to church decide to come to church, they are usually apprehensive about it. They wonder if they will be judged or embraced. They don't know the customs, the music, the rituals. By having a secular tune early in the service - one that is popular and well known - it helps them relax because it's familiar. "Here is at least one thing I have in common with these people" is the sentiment. We once did Breaking Free from High School Musical. The people who had seen that movie (especially the younger folks) really connected with it. It helped set them at ease.
  3. Some secular songs really speak to the topic of the day. We loosely call these 'set up' songs. They 'set up' the message. The ask the question. "How Far is Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys does this. So does "Where is the Love" by the Black Eyed Peas. Both of these songs pose the question. Then the message and the Biblical perspective is supposed to offer some kind of resolution.
  4. Some secular songs are about God, even if the song's writer doesn't know it. "How Far is Heaven" or the Clapton tune "Tears in Heaven" are two examples of this. Just because the writer is not a professing Christian does not mean that we should ignore their work. In fact, a spiritually searching person often writes about God in a very authentic way.

We've done "Calling All Angels" and "Just Another Day In Paradise" and "Who Are You" and a whole list of songs that were popular, helped people connect and relax. Then they were more open to hear the truth from Scripture. And they were more likely to return.

I have little regard for the spiritual state of the author. The only rule I generally employ has to do with profanity. We don't use it, and we'll change the words to the song if profanity is in it.

Hope this helps explain my position and our church's use of secular music. I'd love to hear from you on what you think.

4 comments:

Bela Lovemusic said...

"Some secular songs are about God, even if the song's writer doesn't know it...Just because the writer is not a professing Christian does not mean that we should ignore their work."

Just wanted to let you know that "Heaven" (How Far is Heaven) started out as a prayer written by Henry Garza of Los Lonely Boys. All three Boys (the Garza brothers) are professed Christians, although not regular church goers. Each of their CDs includes at least one prayer. Their second CD, SACRED, has "Orale" and "Home". "Forgiven", the title track from their latest CD of the same name, is an exquisite prayer. It is my favorite song. With these Boys you never have to worry about the language used; it is always clean. They are not billed as a "Christian" band, but every time a new CD comes out I buy it for my Pastor who is a big fan. The Boys could use our support. Many people in the industry have a real problem with the fact that they are so upfront with their belief in the Lord, Jesus Christ. May God bless these Boys!

Anonymous said...

I am offended by many of the songs played at PCC. I have read the reasons given as to why secular music is embraced during services, and in light of some of the songs that I have heard played, I am more that a little disturbed.

You suggest that secular music "meets people where they are." That statement is a little scary. Hear are lyrics that I heard one Sunday:

"Well, you're a sweet talkin', sexy walkin', honky tonkin' baby
The men are gonna love ya and the woman gonna hate ya
Remindin' them of everythin' they're never gonna be
May be the beginning of a world war three
Cause the world ain't ready for nothing like Y-O-U
I bet your mama musta been another good lookin' mama, too"

Artist: Travis Tritt

Or this other wonderful song lyric:

“You ain't got no kind of feeling inside
I got something that will sure 'nuff set your stuff on fire
You refuse to put anything before your pride
I got something that will knock all your pride aside

Chorus:
Tell me something good (tell me, tell me, tell me)
Tell me that you love me
Tell me something good (tell me, tell me, tell me)
Tell me that you like it, yeah

Got no time is what you're known to say
I'll make you wish there were 48 hours to each day
Problem is you ain't been loved like you should
What I got to give will sure 'nuff do you good"

Chaka Khan Tell Me Something Good

I am sure a few words were changed to protect the innocent, but why these songs. It something that I just do not understand. I believe we should go the house of God with a "voice of joy and praise" Psalms 42:4, and not as if we are setting in a bar downtown or at some beer joint in the country.

Secondly, you say secular music eases tension. Well, I am not familiar with too many songs of praise or worship that cast feelings of tension or uneasiness. If there are such songs out there, please don’t perform that at PCC either.

Also, it is suggested that secular music speaks to the topic of the day. That is a hard argument to make in the shadow of the examples above. Unless the topic of sex outside of marriage. If that is so, there is probably a better way.

Finally, you say, "some secular songs are about God." Once again, I sight the two examples above. I truly believe that music that is of the world, corrupt in origin, has no place in the house of God. Even though the house of God is a school auditorium, if we come together to worship God, it should be respected. These so-called secular songs are unsuitable for the glorification of God.

I think we need to keep in mind Ephesians 5:19-20. Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to hear a little bit more about you. without violating your anonymous status, it would help me understand where you are coming from, if I could ask a few questions. Had you been going to church for a long time before PCC? What kind of a church was it (independent, Baptist, pentecostal, etc.). Did you grow up going to church? How did you come to know Jesus and choose to become His follower?

I know this sounds like I'm prodding. But helping me understand you will allow me to more fully appreciate your position. Then I think I can engage in the topic at hand in an informed way.

Thanks for posting your comment. I look forward to the continued dialogue.

Brian

Beth said...

Annonymous -

I also read your comment and am sorry that you have been offended by some of the creative elements we have used at PCC. You've raised some good points, and I think there is much truth to what you are saying - but I also believe that there is a common ground that suits the mission to which God has called us here in Powhatan.

Obviously this is a difficult and disturbing issue for you. It also sounds as if you've been around for a while, and that you care about PCC and about what God is doing in and through our church. I'd love to sit down and talk more about some of the issues you have raised. You can contact me through the church office at any time.

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Beth Brawley