Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Thursday, August 14, 2008

On Excellence

Image found at www.2208.cina.com


My family is currently obsessed with the Olympics. Any semblance of normal life has gone out the window. We can't go to bed until the evening events end, so we're up every night until midnight or later. We huddle around the television in the living room, cheering on swimmers, marveling at the athletic ability of the gymnasts, talking back to the commentators. It's become a real bonding thing for us, because rarely do we get together and sit in one place for an extended period of time. It's been a good thing. This happens every few years, although I confess to a greater appreciation for the summer games than the winter ones.

We truly are captivated by these athletes, and I spent some time this morning thinking more deeply about what it is that attracts us to the Olympics every few years with such passion and, at times, obsession. I used to be a fan of professional sports - particularly football - and I would invest time every Sunday afternoon and Monday night to watch hours and hours of competition. That's fallen by the wayside in the last few years, and I'm just not interested any more. Neither baseball nor basketball have ever attracted my attention, and golf just puts me to sleep. So why is it that I find the Olympic events so compelling?

I think it is this: we watch athletes compete who are at the top of their game in every way. They are the best in the world, and they compete with a sort of purity, uncorrupted by multi-million dollar contracts. They indulge their competitive desire and pursue their dreams with passion and vigor, unbelievable discipline and focus. In a word, they achieve excellence. Not perfection - in each event, mistakes are made. They do fall short, sometimes literally falling. Execution suffers. Perfect 10's are rare, and only one athlete is the winner in each event. Someone always comes in last.

But still, in the midst of the competition, we see the outcome of discipline, training and commitment. We witness an incredible example of individuals striving for - and often achieving - excellence.

And the entire world is captivated.

We believe that excellence honors God and inspires people. It is a tried and tested axiom at our church, and we cling to it as we struggle through every obstacle, every criticism, every fear, in order to accomplish what God has called us to do. Excellence is at the core of our desire to live and breathe as people who love God more than anything else, who love His people with compassion and grace.

I am inspired this morning - not to go work on my form as a swimmer, not to master the uneven bars or put together a stunning floor routine. I am inspired to lean hard into excellence, in everything I say and do.

Because here's what I am thinking: If excellence captivates the human heart in the field of athletic endeavors, won't it do the same in spiritual areas? If the church runs as passionately after excellence in loving God and loving others as Federica Pelligrini pursues excellence as a swimmer, will people notice?

I think they might. And I think it might make a real difference.

You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally.

I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. - 1 Corinthians 9.24-27, The Message

Oh, and by the way: Michael Phelps is beast!

No comments: