Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter thoughts...


Each year, a few weeks before Easter, I bring in several boxes from the shed that are full of our Easter decorations and set them on the back porch. Susan opens them up, unpacks the contents, and spreads them throughout the house. A week after Easter, she packs them all up again and I cart them back to their dark corner, where they'll remain for another eleven months.

Well, they're only decorations. Still, I wonder...are we guilty of approaching Jesus' resurrection the same way Susan and I do our Easter decorations?

You see, Easter is a strange time for me. I'm still a little uncomfortable with all the fuss we make for this one single Sunday. I mean, why is it that we only celebrate Jesus' resurrection once per year? If a church really believes that Jesus is alive, wouldn't every Sunday be cause for rejoicing? In fact, why wait until Sunday...don't we want to teach followers of Christ to live every single day like Jesus is alive, and like he's speaking, directing, embracing, comforting, and encouraging people who've chosen to give their lives to Him?

Oh well...I've got to run. I forgot one of the boxes in the shed. I need to make sure we get it. After all, Easter is tomorrow and we'll be packing everything up in a few days.

Perhaps I'll see you tomorrow....

Brian


No comments: