Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Sunday, January 6, 2008

You Are Good is Israel Houghton's dynamic, passionate interpretation of Psalm 136 - and it's my all-time favorite worship song. Without fail, the lyric and the music help me connect with God in praise unlike any other. There's just something about it...as guitarist John Shepherd says, "It's just a great key."

It is. And because I love it, because it's such an awesome vehicle for me to worship God, I get really into it! And, in doing so, I hurt myself.

It happens every time we play this song.

The photo above is of my fingers, the knuckles scraped raw from the six or seven glissandos that are peppered through out You Are Good. You know that moment, right before the chorus? People from every nation and tongue/from generation to generation...

Right before we tear into the next line - We worship You/hallelujah, hallelujah/we worship You/for who You are - I always go for the glissando. There are better, safer ways to execute this flashy piano move, but in my fervor, I usually just drag my hand across the keys.

I do so, knowing it's going to cost me. By the second service, it's hurting a little bit. By the time I get home, the flesh on my knuckles is raw and bloody, and it hurts. A lot. I can't wash dishes, because it's excruciating to stick my hands in the soapy water.

After a day or two, the new skin grows over the injury. It remains tender for about five days, but new growth replaces the old and I just keep on going.

Today, I couldn't help but think of the spiritual applications. There are a few for me, personally, but I guess the one that resonates the most is this: today, worship cost me something.

You see, because I get to make music - my skill - for God - my passion - with people I really love - my community - it's hard sometimes to see where Sunday morning worship costs me much of anything. I love every minute of it. It's the sweet spot of the week for me, every week. And what does it mean to worship God when it feels so good? When it's easy? When it just feels good for me? Is that really worship?

Worship is not about me. It's about God. We are called to worship him, and that requires setting aside our own needs to focus on Him. In His infinite mercy, He allows us the luxury of enjoying our worship. He's given us music and rhythm and bodies to use to praise Him. But, ultimately, the focus must be on God.

And it's not just about Sunday morning - not about showing up for church and singing or playing or listening and being friendly. It's about an entire life that's lived with God at the center. It's about Jesus infusing everything I am and everything I do and say.

I worshiped with a bit of wild abandon today, and it left a scar. It's nothing that won't heal - but while it's still raw, I pray that God will use this tiny bit of physical discomfort to remind me that He is worthy of all my worship - whether is comfortable or not. My relationships, my finances, my internal life - it all belongs to Him. And I pray that I can be as uninhibited in those areas as I am while pounding the piano.

Praying the same for you -

beth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your not the only one with raw fingers. He is good and like we all repeated on Sunday, his love never quits.


Patrick