Thoughts on life, leadership and the movement called the church by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

by Brian C. Hughes, Senior Pastor

Monday, June 8, 2009

Can a witch believe in God?

This is one of the questions we received when we did the 'ask your question' day...

Is it possible for someone to be a witch and to believe in God?

To answer this question, I would suggest that we don’t just consider witches, but any person who subscribes to any other faith, or no faith at all (like an agnostic or a spiritist). The real question is: Is a person who is not a Christian capable of believing in God? Let me refer to Paul’s words:

Romans 1:19-20 (MSG) But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. So nobody has a good excuse.

I believe that it is possible. Indeed, many people of other established religions and many people who have no real faith position at all still believe in God or at least that some Divine Being exists. I would argue that their picture of God is incomplete or imperfect.

Now, I know this is offensive to some. I don’t mean to sound arrogant or inconsiderate, even though some folks will feel this way. But I think I make a good point: to argue that a Muslim and a Buddhist and a Hindu and a Christian and a Wiccan all worship the same god is to offend them all. You may think you are being respectful and tolerant, but the truth is that such an attitude is just the opposite. Allah and the God I know are not the same. Any faithful Muslim would agree with that statement, by the way. One of us is right, but we can’t both be right.

I have bet my life and my afterlife on the premise that Jesus is who He claims to be - namely, the most complete picture of God that we can possibly know.

So, respectfully, I argue people who believe in God in any form may have pieces of truth, but they do not have the complete picture. Only through Jesus can we really know God. Jesus said it like this:

John 14:6-11 (NIV) …"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
10 Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.
11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.

I think that God’s best for us – for all of us – is found in and through Jesus Christ. People who say that they believe in God but don’t believe in Jesus may, in fact, be telling you the truth. But they don’t know THE Truth. Truth is a person. His name is Jesus.

3 comments:

JulieS said...

Great way to explain this question.Insightful, as always.

Anonymous said...

Throughout scripture we are taught that we should have no other Gods before Him. I would question the witch as to whom they worship. In the old testiment we are warned about consulting, soothsayers, fortune-tellers, mediums and those who consult the dead. A good example of how the lord feels about this is found in the book of Isaiah 57.
My life is based on Jesus Christ, His Word, His Love, His Victory over death and His resurection. I know of no other God than that of the God that loved me enough to send His son as a living sacrifice to die for my sins and be resurected to bring me new life.

Jesus did not say I am a way He said I am THE way, and I can tell you that someday every knee will bow to Him in Heaven and on earth.

For a person to claim that they are a witch and that they belive in a god is very possable but it is not THE God of the Bible.

Karen said...

My initial reaction brought the following reference to mind... James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder.

Can a witch believe in God? Yes.

I think the bigger question is. "Can a witch have a saving faith in Christ?" Which you answered beautifully.